Why Did Some Question Prince William’s Statement On Racist Abuse Received By England Players?
Prince William recently condemned the racist abuse suffered by England football players, calling the comments “sickening.” While some praised his remarks, others commented on his actions after he failed to further address Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s previous racism claims within the Royal family.
On Monday, July 12, Prince William released a statement on Twitter after three black players – Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, and Bukayo Saka – were attacked on social media following the Euro 2020 final. The Duke of Cambridge is the President of the English Football Association.
“I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night’s match,” Prince Harry wrote. “It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behavior. It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable.”
The tweet ended with the letter “W,” which indicates that the statement comes directly from the Duke of Cambridge. Most royal fans welcomed his remarks, but some of the supporters of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have something to say in regards to the subject.
Earlier this 2021, Prince Harry and Markle did a tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey. The couple made a series of claims, including the alleged racism within the Firm. The two said that a certain Royal Family member made a racist remark to their then-unborn first baby, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.
The Sussexes didn’t drop a name, but they said that a member of the Firm was concerned about the skin color of their first child. Although Prince William made it clear that they’re “very much not a racist family,” some believe that he should’ve gone to the public to address the issue.
After sharing his thoughts about the racist abuse received by the players, some royal followers have commented on the Duke of Cambridge’s statement. One user questioned where was his support when Markle “was being bullied, even contemplating ending her life due to the comments.”
Another one responded that the black community would’ve welcomed Prince William’s statement if he had condemned the “racism against Meghan as he's the future king and also released his transformation report and condemned racism in the UK.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down as senior members of the Royal Family in 2020. Then, the couple announced that they’re moving from the United Kingdom to the United States. After revealing their decision, rumors further ignite that there’s, indeed, a feud within the Firm.